Saturday, March 3, 2018

Sanger Blossom Trail 10k

I signed up for a 10k to run with my friend who is training for the Yosemite half as her first half marathon. But then her back hurt, so I figured I'd run it since I already paid.
It was the same place that we went to last year to see the Blossom Trail.

Remember this? So cute.
So the 10K starts the blossom festival that we attended, and since it was a cheap run it was good since everything went wrong. Everyone has been praying for rain, and every one of those prayers was answered between Thursday and Saturday morning. The mountains supposedly got 5 or 6 FEET of snow. Which is great, except when you're trying to drive. I don't know how we drove in 6 Rexburg winters without getting in an accident.
So once I got there, I got my packet and dropped it off at the car. Which I hoped wouldn't be towed (the race director said I was fine parked where I was buuuuuut you never know). I decided to leave my phone in the car since it was raining so much. As I was getting ready, I heard an air horn blast. I booked it over there, and thankfully I didn't miss the start. The rain slowed down, and I realized I wouldn't need my jacket but it was too late to bring it back. So i tried to start my headphones... dead. The portable charger I should have been using the whole drive up was in the car. So, that was the longest I've run without music!
At first I thought the Blossom Trail was going to be in name only, since we kept moving through these neighborhoods with big barking dogs. But we finally made it out to the fields. It smells AMAZING. Almond trees, apple trees, orange trees, etc. But all the rain came with a ton of mud. I almost lost a shoe in it. Thankfully not! 
As we went around a turn, I saw flashing lights behind me. There was a police car that seemed to be picking up the people who were falling too far behind. (The walkers started earlier) I had a handful of people behind me, but every time I looked back there were fewer people behind me and the car was getting closer. So I tried to run a little faster, just ahead of the car. By the time I finished, there were only 2 other people behind me. But I didn't get picked up by the street sweeper!
My time was 1:21:30. 10k is a struggle distance for me, because since the groups are always so small I am usually one of the last few people to come in. It makes it hard to stay motivated.
Now it's time to get ready for the Yosemite half! My goal is to beat my best time of 2:49.

No comments:

Post a Comment