Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas from Irvine

Christmas is always a time of great emotion for me. I have absolutely no idea why, but I always get extremely sentimental and grateful for everything that I have. Which is a good thing, if it would only last. This past year, seeing how the world lives outside of Orange County, I've had these emotions heightened. We truly have so much to be thankful for here. In Orange County, people sometimes get into a sense of entitlement. 15 year olds get Lexuses before they even pass their license tests, if someone wrecks a car they just get another one, I saw the newest cell phones at school before they were even advertised... the list goes on. Around Christmastime, I always notice how Orange County's idea of Christmas is so skewed from the world's. As i listed before, I did want material things for Christmas. But I entirely forgot about that in the days leading up to Christmas as we schemed on ways to top our "service" gift from last year. Our family is verrry competitive, and even with things like that. Obviously, I cried when we talked about it around the Christmas tree. But it was a good cry. On a related note, I should probably write down what I want to say before I get emotional... otherwise it's just word vomit. But it was a fulfilling day... We went to the beach. Which was so nice. And what my picture's from. However, just before we went to the beach, I got a phone call from an unavailable number. I answered, and it was my cousin Bennett! He's technically not supposed to call, since he's on his mission in Brazil and they're only supposed to talk to immediate family, but it made my Christmas so much better! I wish I could have talked to him for longer (and by myself, not on speakerphone with the whole family chiming in so that I could hardly get a word in edgewise), but it was still great! Put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. I just loved being with my family, and spending a quiet day with them. Merry Christmas, Everyone!


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed talking to my bro. I gave him your number, even though there were certain discretionary comments from the parentals. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, L is 4 LOSER! is it you or austin?

    ReplyDelete