Sorry this is late, I've been really busy. And Annie and Wes' computer at home has a broken keyboard, so I'll upload tons of pictures soon when they get a different one.
Quotes of these Days:
Claira: You couldn't speak Spanish before, but you can now.
Caroline: Who is Tommy married to? (Sorry Alyse, our cousins now dont remember you)
Me: Alyse, remember her?
Caroline: Oh yeah. Isn't it illegal to marry your cousin?
Me: Well, he only became your cousin after he married Alyse.
Caroline: Oh, Ok phew!
Claira: Who's your little sister?
Me: Bethany
Claira: No, it's Soffia.
Me: No, Soffia is my cousin, just like your cousin. Bethany is my little sister.
Claira: Bethany's not little.
So Wednesday I worked at the preschool and primaria. At the preschool, the kids were funny as ever. I'm learning a little bit more of how to communicate when they should/shouldn't do something, but it's still usually something along the lines of "No, no no no nonononono!" This little pipsqueak got mad at me yesterday, because I wouldn't let her steal crayons... 3 year olds have no logic whatsoever. So I told her she was cute, and she called me "fea". I just laughed, because she kind of reminded me of Claira (who calls everyone "baby" and thinks it's such a horrible insult), and told her she was pequena. She didn't have a comeback. She really is though-- she like comes up to my knees.
I taught my English lesson to the third grade class... it was horrible. They did not listen to a single word I said, and if it weren't for the fact that they were copying down what I was teaching them I wouldn't think they learned anything. After that Daniel (the regular English teacher) asked me if I wanted to sit in on a 5th grade English class. Of course i didn't!!! But I said yes, because that was the nice thing to do. And I didn't have anything better to do. They behaved just as badly, except they were asking me questions. "Do you have sisters?" (Don't worry Bethany, I didn't give you away) "Do you like to dance?" "I like your eyes." Considering I always look super oily and wear missionary skirts, I like that they still find me attractive.
After school, Annie told me that we were definitely going to this all-inclusive resort. What perfect timing. Once we got there, I immediately took advantage of the relaxed dress code and stripped down to my bathing suit. Unfortunately, the serving people at the all-you-can-eat buffet didn't like that, and made me go back and put some pants on. Jealous. It was so nice to just relax though-- this has not been a vacation of just "sleep in, do whatever, no worries". I'm trying to learn a foreign language here! And I work at 7 in the morning, which is earlier than any job I've ever had. So it was just nice to be able to kick back, and watch Claira dance to the reggaeton. The place looked like the Casino in "Casino Royale", where Daniel Craig picks up the girl and the car at the same time?
Well, the first night we went and looked around the beach for sand dollars. Instead we found bats. There was a bat cave with thousands of little tiny bats sleeping, that of course Caroline wanted to climb into. We went back after that, and while walking to the pool saw a toad sitting on the edge of the pool! This would be a perfect time to be upload pictures, because I have one of Caroline holding it by it's back leg (David and Emily were freaking out because they thought she was going to kill it that way). On the way to dinner, Claira told me she wanted to name the baby "Lily Awesome". Emily said Claira sometimes forgets the word "is", so she meant "Lily is Awesome". Claira looked at me, and said, "No. The baby's name IS Lily Awesome." She knows what she wants.
I slept in a bed with Caroline, and at first she didn't want to sleep with me. She laid on the very edge of the bed. But I decided to tell her stories about living in a room with Bethany, and pretty soon I couldn't get her to be quiet long enough to go to sleep. I went to sleep, but about 20 minutes later I heard some banging around the room. When the front door started rattling, I sat up straight in bed. It was Emily, so I just hissed at her to get away from the door. The next morning, she denied everything, saying she just went to the bathroom. The rest of the day went pretty well, we went miniature golfing/to the minizoo, and raided the snack bar for as long as we could.
The next day was some sort of nature awareness day for Nicaragua, so the preschool kids dressed up as bits of nature. I'm so mad I didn't have my camera, because they were SO cute! There were flowers and clouds and butterflies and ladybugs and Suns and hippies everywhere! The kids (and I) went around to the other classrooms in the primaria and the secundario, sharing words of environmentally friendliness and recycling to the kids. The girls were too busy swooning over the kids to actually listen. During recess, the kids wanted me to help them with the monkey bars. And the balance beams. AND the swings. I was willing to do it for one girl, beacuse she had skinned her knee and looked like she needed a pick-me-up. But I forgot that preschool children are like lemurs, they see one person get something exciting and they all want it for themselves. Let's just say my arms were tired by the end of recess. After school, our family went to "Marmaduke" in the theatre. I'm still having a hard time listening to Spanish like that, because I still think in English. But I also learned that I know more Spanish than I thought, because I could keep up some of the time.
Well, it's time for bed, So I'm going to tell you about my Saturday/Sunday in better detail tomorrow... it will take a while to explain.
HAHAHA that is hilarious. thank you for ALL of our cousins that are under the age of 9 loving tommy and forgetting all about me.
ReplyDeletei think it's so funny how all your little cousins forget all about alyse now that tommy's in their life
ReplyDeletewow. i am honored that miss caroline even remembers me, to be honest. i didn't think we bonded that much at the family reunion, but i guess i was wrong. And don't worry alyse, i won't forget all about you.
ReplyDelete