Ok so first, best Claira quote ever:
We were having pillow talk last night, and the conversation went like this:
Claira: What's your mom's name?
Me: Dana
Claira: Dana my friend?
Me: Yeah, remember her?
Claira: Yeah, awesome.
Me: Awesome?
Claira: Yeah, your mom's name is Dana Awesome.
Cutie.
So yesterday I went over the mental checklist for my first day at work:
Extra toilet paper (yes, you need it)-- check.
Water-- check.
Nerves-- checkcheckcheckcheckcheck
Did we have school today-- check? (we weren't sure)
Sufficient Spanish skills-- ... ehh, we'll work on that.
So off we went. We talked to the school psychologist, and she referred me to one of the priests. When he approached me, I was shocked at how weird it sounded to have someone speak English to me! He brought me to one of the classrooms, and said "Ok go back to the psychologist's office after class ends and she'll bring you to me." That was it. No "Here's what you do", nothing. Alright, here we go.
Since apparently most of the students thought it was a national holiday (the day after Mother's Day, or maybe USA's Memorial Day), there were only 4 children in the classroom. Alejandrina, Isabela, Christofer, and Gabriel. Christofer looked EXACTLY like a little Griffin Izu... so funny. I got there right when the English teacher was teaching, so it was nice to help the children with learning the names of articles of clothing. Then I taught them a classic- "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". Gabriel seemed to prefer being near me as opposed to... anyone else, basically. We were coloring pictures of a woman and a child, and he colored the woman's hair yellow, "como tu pelo". Cute. And after break, he pulled up a chair right next to him so that I could sit there.
After class was out (11 AM, it started at 7), I went to the psychologist's office and she brought me to Oscar (the priest's) office. He sat me down, and said, "Here. We're going to write up a schedule of things we want you to do while you're here." I was so mentally drained that I just nodded. I probably would have been a little bit more insistent on staying in the preschool if I had my wits about me. But he arranged, and had me meet, the other English teachers, so that I could work with them. After all was said and done, I still had 45 minutes to go before Emily and David got out of school. So I just sat there. My head was swimming, and it was HOT. My legs were 100% stuck to each other under my skirt, and if you've never felt that, it's not a pleasant feeling. So I was exhausted. I got home, and just passed out for 4 hours. I felt like my brain did 4,000 or so crunches.
Day 2
I was a little bit more confident today, but only a little bit. All that was different was that I now had an "in" with the English teachers (and the priest, but he kept trying to convert me so I didn't talk to him that much). Today there were 15 students in the classroom. And they were all super busy. Gabriel pulled up a chair next to him for me again, so I sat down. There was a girl that was sitting in the corner crying, and I tried to comfort her. But not knowing what to say besides "Que paso?" is not very helpful. The teacher described her as "un pocito complicado". And I soon found out why. She was obviously less mature than the other students, and didn't seem to come from a good background. Because she was either very clingy to people she didn't know, or starved for attention. Or maybe had a behavioral disorder. At any rate, she immediately gravitated towards me, and sat in my lap. After a few minutes, she reached up and kissed my cheek. It was cute, albeit a little bit surprising. Kids just don't do that in the U.S. When I had to go meet with the English teachers, she ran out after me. I had to deliver her back to the teacher, and say "Ya vengo!" so that she would stay in one place.
Daniel, the English teacher for the primaria, wants me to do a lesson plan for English class tomorrow (Wednesday). Have I started? Nope. Am I worried? Nahhh. I'm not getting paid, and besides I already know what I'm talking about. I just hope he has a backup plan in case something doesnt work out. But after I talked with him for a while, I went to find Eduardo, the teacher for the secondaria. He was in a classroom, and beckoned me in. Once I was standing in front of the class, he turned to his class and said, "Ok kids, ask her questions!" And they did. They were speaking very quiet English, so I had a hard time hearing them the first (or second or third, in some cases) time. Eduardo told me later one boy wanted to ask me if I had a boyfriend, but he didn't let them ask that. After I answered questions for a while, he had me do some group work with the girls, and he worked with the boys. I don't think the boys liked that (and I"m not being arrogant, they were very loudly sharing their displeasure). Then it was recess, and after I went back to the classroom.
It was Dia de los Ninos (and Ninas, because some kids like David think that means it's only Boy's Day) today, and of course they had to have a celebration. So we brought the kids to the courtyard, and each class had prepared a dance number to present to the other preschool classes. Again, I was pretty shocked. I mean, sure they don't think it's seductive or stuff. But 3 and 4 year old girls were booty popping there! (if you don't know what it means... don't look it up. Just take it for what it is) I was pretty surprised. then they gave the kids Rojito's (not the alcoholic drink, the soda that tastes like cherry medicine according to Annie) and suckers. Those kids were WIRED. They were running everywhere, and the teachers finally turned back on the music ("The Anthem" by Pit Bull in Spanish... just so people know what they listen to in Nicaragua for fun) and let the kids dance. Piera kept trying to escape, and when I brought her back she tried to bite my hand. I didn't know how to say don't bite so I just kept saying "No, no, no!" talvez ella sabe que no hablo espanol? talvez. then school was out, and I wasn't even as tired! Hopefully that means i'm getting better, and not that I just didn't really speak Spanish today. We'll see how my lesson plan goes tomorrow... I happen to be teaching David's class, so hopefully he's a help!
Annie and I went to go get our nails done... I got electric blue. Of COURSE. It was fun, even though they were talking too fast for me to understand again. I'm getting better every day, so hopefully it won't be so bad by the time I leave. That is, if the bugs don't eat me first.
awesome stories--but the new color font is hard to read, FYI.
ReplyDelete