Sunday, December 25, 2011

Mele Kalikimaka 2011, December 24-25

So Christmas Eve, we went snorkeling in Hanauma Bay. Bethany and Cole enjoyed the morning's relaxed feeling:

First we said hi to our friends on the gun boats in the canal:

 Hanauma bay. Isn't it gorgeous??



 Thanks Brandon
 He wanted to pretend to be falling into the water.




 He was pretending to be a messenger from one of the cultural tribes.
 Coley was our model for the snorkeling gear.
The fish we saw underwater was so great. Unfortunately, I had to learn how to not hyperventilate while putting my face in the water first. However, once we got past that little molehill it was great. Unfortunately we didn't have an underwater camera that was just ours, so I don't have pictures. But we did see a sea turtle (which was illegal to harass or chase, according to Hawaiian laws) feeding just a few feet away from us. We also saw an eel, some "convict" fish (white with black stripes), and a fish that looks like it had an oil spill all over it. But it didn't, it was just fluorescent.
 I only have a gut here because I was sticking my back out... I swear.
 Afterwards, we went to a "shave ice" place, where Obama went one time he was visiting in Oahu.
 Nice, Tommy.
 Obama!
 It really was great!
I was way too excited.
Christmas Day was a nice and relaxed day. One of the nice things about going to Hawaii for Christmas was that we didn't have to worry about big gifts and stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures. But we gave our stocking stuffers and gifts, and we all got a book from Mom and Dad. It was great, I read my book in a day (see here).
Afterwards, we went on a hike to the battleplace of Nu'uanu. It was a beautiful place, but had a tragic history. This is where Kamehameha and his army sent the native armies over the edge of the cliff to unite all the Hawaiian islands. It was super windy up there, and pretty sobering to think about what happened there.
 Brandon wasn't feeling too well... probably carsick.
 Nice.

 The wind was insane here.
 Again.






 Austin likes to worry my mom sometimes...


 December 26 was our last day there... final post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment