Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ninth Week of Student Teaching.

Day 41. While trying to regain control of my lesson, my teacher said, "Look, Mrs. Giullian got all ready and pretty so you would look at her and listen to her today!"
Boy 1: "She's right. You're beeeeaauutiiifuuuullllll!"
Me: "Oh why thank you. I did brush my hair out and everything today."
Boy 2: "Yeah can I marry you?"
Me: "Sorry, I'm already married." 
Boys: "AWWWWWWW!"
I just about died laughing on the inside, but had to keep gaining control of my class so I just said, "Yep, too bad. Anyways, so the lesson is....." But I sure do love those boys sometimes.

Day 42. I bought another frog for the class, and let the children who followed my directions name it. By almost unanimous voting, they named it... Mrs. Giullian. Heh heh heh yes they laugh every time they say it.
 So now we have Walter on the right and Mrs. Giullian on the left.
 
Day 43. I was playing Simon Says with my class (a perfect way to get the wiggles out). One of my kids, who was in the front row, would start playing air guitar as soon as he would follow my command. He also plays air guitar all the time, at the risk of not hearing any directions, so I've had it up to here with it. Finally, I turned to him and said, "You're out." He got mad, and said, "But I did what you said! I even  put my right hand up!" "Yes, but you're playing air guitar. I didn't say, 'Simon Says play air guitar.' So you're out!" He didn't like it, but I was right. That's the whole point of Simon Says, after all.

Day 44. I had a boy watching me as he walked by, so I followed him with my eyes. He walked back and forth, saying, "What is it, Mrs. Giullian?" I said, "Nothing, I'm just watching you!" He stopped, and said, "I know what you need." He came up and gave me a huge hug. My heart melted, and I said, "You know, you're right. That is just what I needed."

Day 45. I had a couple of funny experiences with 5th grade girls today. Our class does "buddy reading" with the 5th grade class, and here were a few conversations I had with them:
They were looking at a list of big cities around the world. They turn to me and ask, "What's famous in London?"
Me: "Umm, well I've never been there, but there's Big Ben..."
Girls: "What's that?"
Me: "The big clock tower..."
Girls: ".......?"
Me: "It's in Peter Pan."
Girls: "Oooohhhh OK! What else?"
Me: "Shakespeare was there..."
Girls: "What's that?" 
Me: "You know what, you're right. There's nothing famous in London."

Girl: "Are you a Student Teacher?"
Me: "Yep!"
Girl: "You look like you're 16!"
Me: "Well, I'm not!"
Girl: "How old are you?"
Me: "I'm not telling you."
Girl: "Well, you've gotta be like 19 or something."
Me: "Maybe!"
Girl: "Are you married?"
Me: "Yep."
Girl: "Are you 21?"
Me: "Nope."
Girl: "Well, if you're not 19 and you're not 21 and you're married then you have to be 20."
Me: "Sure o.k."
Girl: "Yeah you totally are 20. I can read you like a book, you're so easy to read!"



I sure like my job... even the days when I want to strang love individual children. I've been working on more positive reinforcement, even though I'm not perfect about it.

And tomorrow I'm going to give them an impromptu geography lesson on how far away the D.R. is from here!             
  

No comments:

Post a Comment