Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I'm Camille Giullian, and I AM smarter than a 5th Grader.

To preface this story: Sure, I'm bragging about myself. I try and save my bragging for things about Brandon (or Dane), but this is surprising to me as much as anyone, so I'm blogging about it. If you don't want to read it, you don't have to.
Also, Brandon is surprised at the useless trivia my memory can hold. And I emphasize the word USELESS. I can tell you which temples have been built out of existing buildings (Vernal, Manhattan, Copenhagen, and Provo City Center), and which President has glasses on at Mount Rushmore (Theodore Roosevelt). I love watching trivia games, because it tests me. I like that I can surprise Brandon, but I wish that my memory would help me remember where I put my sunglasses once in a while...
So I took my latest Praxis test in June, and I wasn't quite sure how I would do on it. I NEEDED to pass in order to keep my job, so I had that pressure. In addition, I didn't want to pay another $200 to take it again. So, I went into the test feeling OK but nervous.
The test was "Elementary Ed Content Knowledge", which was just the things that children need to know in Elementary school, and some things that teachers need to know to teach them. It may sound super easy, but... there are a lot of things kids need to know! In addition, there are some classes that Elementary Ed majors took that prepared them for this test that my major didn't. I can think of at least 2.
I went through the test, and just waited for my results. Yesterday, I got something in the mail that was from the Praxis store. Inside was a folder that said "Excellence". I was confused, as I hadn't gotten one of these for the tests for my major.
I opened up the folder, and it said, "Congratulations! Your score placed in the top 15% of scores from test takers in past years. This will be shown on your record, and you receive this certificate." Along with it, I got a certificate:
I'm just as proud of this as my diploma, which sounds embarrassing but I'm not ashamed. And now I can apply for my teaching certificate!
For the rest of the day, I had the theme song from "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader?" playing in my head. I think I'm going to go on a game show!

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome!! And you should be just as proud!
    and why is it useless information is way easier to remember than things you actually need to remember?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks, and I know right?? I can always come up with cute party tips, but I can't remember where I put half the stuff in my apartment. So useless.

    ReplyDelete