So a long time ago, I signed up for the Color in Motion 5K as a motivation to get myself to start running. I didn't start running until just recently (obviously), but this was my first step. Brandon and I signed up with our friends Rachel and Cody. Rachel's been my inspiration to run, because we lived together and didn't have a set workout. But, she just ran a half marathon! I know if she can motivate herself to run then so can I.
I had been trying to run, but going to Utah killed me. My lungs could not keep up with the change of altitude. When we were at our family reunion in Aspen Grove, we had a huge hike up to our cabin every day. It helped my legs get used to burning at 7,000 feet above sea level. I had a goal to run this 5K in less than 33 minutes (average less than 11 minutes per mile), but I knew this was not possible for me after not running for a week.I just got back in Rexburg last night, and was super nervous about my run today. I didn't know how my body would handle not running for a week, and I really really wanted to not embarrass myself.
SO, race time. We didn't pick up our shirts last night, which turned out to be a good thing. The shirt I wore is completely ruined. But, this morning Brandon and I walked over to the park and got our bibs, then got ready to get sprayed with colors. The run itself was not that bad, to be honest. My lungs were way more ready for the run than my legs- my legs gave out a long time before my lungs did. We ran around the stores in Rexburg and over to the nature park. As I have run a lot of this route before, I just kept telling myself that I could do it. I've done it before, no big deal right? It helped to take speed walking breaks. I go just about the same speed but feel like I am dying less.
There were 4 different stations, each one with a different color of chalk. Unfortunately, on the third station I got a nose full of green chalk and couldn't breathe through my nose. Just as I was about to cross the finish line I felt like I was going to throw up. But how embarrassing would that be, at a 5K? I made it, and looked for Brandon. He looked surprised... how rude. I sat down with my head between my knees, and the feeling passed. He told me after that he didn't think I would have made it through for about 10 more minutes. HA. As it was I ran it in 36 minutes, which I am happy with.
Before the race. All nice and clean.
The color throwing started before the race... it's still stuck on my forehead.
Before the race. All nice and clean.
The color throwing started before the race... it's still stuck on my forehead.
(after the run... I was dying but oh so proud of myself.)
The 4 runners... Brandon Mr. "Oh I'm so out of shape I'll be so dead during the run" ran it in 25 minutes. Before anyone else. Out of shape my fanny.
The 4 runners after the color throwing party. Brandon's still slightly purple.
Luckily Brandon found the sunglasses from the above pictures at Aeropostale yesterday. They were 2 for $10, as opposed to $20 for one normally. Otherwise all that would have been in my eyes.
I had to sit in the shower for about half an hour until the water finally ran clear... my hair was coated. But I am so proud of myself, even if I took an entire week off of running I did it. I think my next goal is a 10K, and then build up to a half marathon. But knowing how well I did here (and how surprised and proud Brandon was of how well I did) gives me a lot of confidence to keep running.
The 4 runners after the color throwing party. Brandon's still slightly purple.
Luckily Brandon found the sunglasses from the above pictures at Aeropostale yesterday. They were 2 for $10, as opposed to $20 for one normally. Otherwise all that would have been in my eyes.
I had to sit in the shower for about half an hour until the water finally ran clear... my hair was coated. But I am so proud of myself, even if I took an entire week off of running I did it. I think my next goal is a 10K, and then build up to a half marathon. But knowing how well I did here (and how surprised and proud Brandon was of how well I did) gives me a lot of confidence to keep running.






way to go!! i know i couldn't do that right now so i'm way impressed!
ReplyDelete