We had a multi-stake conference yesterday. We had no idea how crowded it would be, but when the ushers told us to pull onto the lawn and right up next to the building we knew we should have gotten there about 45 minutes earlier.
(I took a picture to document. It was insane.)
It turned out to be a conference for 3 stakes throughout Miami Dade County, which made our drive of 25 minutes not that bad. Some people probably drove an hour or so.
As it turned out, they were forming a new stake. Everything directly south of us was put into the new Miami stake, while we were taken from the Fort Lauderdale stake (where we had been for a year) and back into the Miami Lakes stake, which extends east of us.
What amazed me was that the man who was called to be the new stake president was in his early to mid 30's. He sounded grateful but completely overwhelmed, which I totally do not blame him for. I know that before our ward split (before we moved in) there was a bishop who was chief resident while he served as bishop. This may or may not have been the same man (I'm not sure). It reminded me of how grateful I am that Brandon takes the time to do his calling, even with being super busy in school. It won't ever get easier, the challenges just change. From Brandon being in school with a sick wife to us now adjusting to dealing with a wiggly baby in church, it is just changing. But we luckily believe in a lot of the same things, like how doing your calling to the true best of your ability will actually help you in school (as demonstrated by Brandon's GPA), and that the best thing we can do is teach Cora that we ALWAYS go to church. We already spend a lot of time out in the halls walking her up and down. She sleeps for Brandon during third hour though.... but anyway. I love that Brandon doesn't complain about being too busy for his calling, even to me. I know I have not been too good at that, especially with my previous calling of Relief Society Activity chair in Rexburg. But I am learning now just how much you can be expected to do, and being in a small ward means having a baby doesn't excuse you from a calling. So I feel like I am learning.
As a side note, we saw our friend Mikey there! She is in downtown Miami area, and looks like she is doing great things. Cora really liked her shirt.


No comments:
Post a Comment