Sunday, October 11, 2015

Southernmost Half Marathon in the Nation

There aren't too many times where I am truly proud of myself. 
I was proud of myself when I graduated college. 
I was proud of myself when I taught special ed.
I was proud of myself when I gave birth.
And this weekend I fulfilled a goal- I ran a half marathon!
So, 2 years ago I wrote this, which talked about how I was starting running and wanted to run the Big Cottonwood Canyon half marathon at the end of September. Well, I didn't. I then signed up for the Famous Idaho Potato half marathon in May 2014, but I didn't train enough so I decided to run the 10K instead. THEN, I found this run in October 2014 called the Southernmost Marathon in the Nation, which is run in Key West. We knew we were going to be moving to Miami, so I started training before we moved. But then a little somebody came along and made me sick, so that went on hold. And while I was pregnant, I actually started to miss running. It was so weird to realize that! 
While I don't necessarily like running, I know it is a good way to get into shape and exercise. I decided to run a half marathon within 6 months of Cora being born, as a way to get me back out and about as soon as possible. I know that a good way to fight off the baby blues is to get active again, so I made a goal. Once I signed up for the race, I was in it to win it.
It was SO hard to train. Cora is not a huge fan of running in the stroller for more than 20 minutes, which eliminated all distance day time runs. I could only train early in the morning or late at night... which basically meant late at night. I was getting discouraged by the end, because I know I hadn't trained as much as I should have. I endured sunburns and chafing (under my arms and my thighs). But I kept trying, and finally the day came.
I picked Brandon up from work on Friday, and that traffic was HORRENDOUS. I'm glad we decided that in advance, because it would have taken a few more hours just to get to that point afterwards. Usually it takes 4 hours to get to Key West (according to Apple Maps), but it took us almost 7. Poor Cora was DONE by the time we got there. Our hotel was the Key West Bayside Inn and Suites (to remember for next time, if we ever come back). The room was bigger than our apartment, which isn't saying much but it was nice. We even could put Cora in the front room, and let her fall asleep by herself that way! I could hear her talking to herself, but she was so tired that she fell back asleep finally.
Then, I had to get up at 4:15 the next morning after 4 hours of sleep to get ready. To say I had butterflies was an understatement. Brandon dropped me off, I warmed up and stretched, and the gun went off!
We ran around the island, which went by a lot of the sights. We passed the Southernmost Point Buoy, Ernest Hemingway's house, and came to the beach where I saw the most BEAUTIFUL sunrise.
I had to take a picture, it was so stunning.
We also passed the Key West airport, the Fort East Martell Museum- a Civil War era museum that has a lot of paranormal activity including Robert the doll (a haunted doll that was the inspiration for Chucky FREAKY)- and then came back around and saw the hotel! I texted Brandon to look out, and it was fun to see a little sleeper clad body bouncing up and down on the balcony. Brandon got some pictures (also note our view!)






It was about this time that my ankles really started to give out on me. They HURT, and every jogging step was painful. I tried walking on the outside of my feet, but I could hardly run. I still had 3 miles to go though! So I kept moving, and right when I was about to give up I had a text from Brandon that said "Don't give up you're almost there!" How did he know? Who knows.
At mile 12 there was a bridge we had to cross. THAT was cruel. I didn't even try to run it.
When I hit mile 13 and knew I just had .1 left, I really got a lump in my throat and even some tears in my eyes. I was almost done! And people were cheering... it's sure an ego boost! So I hobbled along to the finish line, and Brandon snapped this lovely shot of me.
Check out that form! I call it "Dying slowly".
As soon as I finished, I walked over very slowly to Brandon and Cora. Cora was not very impressed with my accomplishment.

My goal was to be under 3 hours, but thanks to the ankle and foot/toe pain I made it in 3:27:40 (according to the race results I got in an email yesterday). Oh well, I managed to not be last (503/563), and I didn't hurt myself seriously. So, not too bad.
Cora was starving by the time I got to them, so we had to head back to the hotel. Unfortunately we couldn't afford a second night in Key West so we had to check out 40 minutes after we got home. Cora was so tired, but we had to get lunch. We found a barbecue place (Charlie Mac's), which was pretty good. I had been careful about what I was eating all week, so that was my reward.
We had to decide what we were going to do, and since we didn't want to spend any more money we decided to just check out the Southernmost Point buoy. There was a line to take pictures, and Cora was grumpy, but we got some good pictures!
 
 It is 90 miles to Cuba from that point. They also made the first international call there, by running a big cable along the ocean floor. Cora fell asleep before we even started the car after she got back in, so we decided to just get going.
Going back on the bridges was a fascinating thing. This was over the 7 Mile Bridge, and it was eerie to realize that you could go out in a boat from there and not hit anything for hours.
 Beautiful little key.
We stopped in Key Largo and got some key lime pie. I recommend it for EVERYONE!

I am feeling really good about finally fulfilling my goal of running a half marathon. I even thought at the end "next time-" WHAT. I used to think anyone who ran for fun was ridiculous. Then it was "fine I'll run a half, but I will NEVER run a full marathon". I don't think anything can be off the table now.
I did this for myself, for Brandon, and for Cora. I know I needed to get my fitness back in gear, and I wanted to know that later in life if I have health problems it won't be from a sedentary lifestyle. I wanted to show Cora that anything she puts her mind to is possible, and that an active lifestyle is a good one. Brandon has wanted me to get in shape for a while (he has never said that, of course) so that I will play frisbee and Spikeball and games with him outside.
Training for a half marathon has really helped me with my post partum emotions. Yes, I was super discouraged for a while when my training wasn't really taking off. I am still SO slow and hurt after many runs. My body still doesn't look the same as it did before my pregnancy. I still have some weight hanging on for dear life. But instead of sitting around thinking "Ugh I hate my body!" I am trying to DO something about it! And this just goes to show- if I can do a half marathon, anyone can. They just need to want to and be willing to put the time into training. Now, I have a goal to improve my speed before my next half. I know I'll do at least one more in my life, because I want to have a better PR.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed! I truly tried running and I get about 8 miles and I am bored and unmotivated! So instead i have been trying insanity. I am not as consistent as I would like to be but oh well!

    ReplyDelete