So, these rotations have been pretty crazy. Each successive rotation has come with longer hours. While Brandon is super good about studying during his down time at the hospitals he has worked at, he still needs to study here some nights or on the weekends.
This rotation, Brandon has been putting in 50-60 hours a week. Which means that I don't have the car often, and that he is there until well after Cora goes to bed. I have been finding myself thinking "Just a few more weeks, then it will be better".
But I realized something the other day!
1) Brandon will most likely always have crazy hours. He is in the field that he really loves right now (surgery), and it would be remarkably selfish of me to ask him to go to a specialty that has less hours just for my sake. And so to say "Just a few more weeks" doesn't really help here. Surgery doesn't suddenly go away because it hits 5:00 PM.
and 2) We will NEVER not have a person to worry about in our lives. That thought keeps hitting me every week or so. Cora is here to STAY! It's so great to think about and remember. Our lives have been divided into semesters and trimesters for as long as I can remember. Since kindergarten! Even while teaching, my life was divided into getting progress reports in on time every trimester. But Cora is a life changing experience that changes daily, and doesn't just roll over every semester. And so we will have a fun time learning to be by ourselves and possibly without a car a lot this next year. And we will take advantage of the car when we do have it!
I don't want to be a person who wishes their life away. As hard as the long days are, look at what I would miss out on if I was just waiting for graduation, or a job, or for Cora to be not so dependent!

No comments:
Post a Comment