So, the week of Thanksgiving my dad sat us all down (virtually) and dropped kind of a bomb on us. Now, usually that means something super bad, but in this instance I just mean HUGE. He said that he and my mom had been called to serve as mission presidents. They explained that first they video chatted with Elder Renlund, who asked them a lot of questions about themselves and their children, and then a few weeks later President Uchtdorf contacted them to extend their call.
A few thoughts.
1) WOW.
2) It amazed me that Elder Renlund knew each of their children by name, and knew where Alyse and I are living. Some people might think that's too much information for the church to know, but I take it as the Lord will keep an eye on us in a very specific way over the next 3 1/2 years.
3) I am SO excited for them to go Spanish speaking. They will do so many wonderful things in South America. Brandon said that next to his dad, his mission presidents are the most amazing priesthood holders in his life. And I love that my dad can do that for others.
4) I'm kind of jealous of Cole. He gets to go to a different country and have a very unique adventure. I doubt I would have been as excited as he is if I were in his shoes, but it sounds so exciting. And he will get to have a bond with my parents that the rest of us won't have.
5) The thing that makes me sad is how much they will not be able to be here for. Chances are we'll have at least one more baby while they're gone, and while I don't want to speak for Alyse and Tommy it's possible on their end too. Austin and Dallin can get married, Bethany even could (GAH), Bethany could go on a mission AND COME BACK before they get home. It is so crazy! But they both come from families where their parents served as mission presidents when they were married and had Alyse. So dynasty jokes aside, if any mission president will understand our sadness about them missing these events it's them.
But the great news is we think we're going to fly out when Brandon takes his certification test! That is January 2017, and it will be before Cora turns 2 so we don't have to pay for her flight. We still have to make sure everyone's passport is up to date.
So, while I won't say where they are going just yet (they can do that later today), I'll give a hint!

No comments:
Post a Comment