Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Finding Joy in the Journey.

Last night, as I was about to go to sleep, I heard the news that President Monson had passed away.
I feel like I've lost an old friend.
My mom has told me the story about when I was about 4 and wrote President Monson about his talk in general conference. I also asked if I could come to conference and sit on his lap. (Apparently that was my thing?) I asked every day if I had gotten a letter back, but my mom thought it was a LONG shot. But sure enough, one day I got one back! Ever since then, I have felt a special connection to him. I'm sure everyone does, but that is mine.
President Monson is an amazing man. He was called to be a bishop at 23, which is the same age Brandon was when we got married. I can't believe that! And when he was called to be an apostle, he was only 36.
Brandon read that President Monson was the last of a group of apostles who knew people that knew Joseph Smith. That is the end of an era.
While it is nearly impossible to come up with a favorite of his messages, if I had to choose i would choose his talk "Joy in the Journey". It is a devastating and beautiful combination of three stories of people overcoming amazing adversity. I remember he gave the talk in 2009, during a hard period in my life. "Joy in the Journey" has been one of my mottos in life.
Just a few months ago we had a traumatic week as a family. During that time I read many many general conference talks to find peace in my life. Between his talks, Elder Holland's talks, and President Uchtdorf's talks, I was able to find a lot of peace and solace. I meant to write him a letter to tell him, but I didn't. 
We almost named James "Spencer" after president Monson. In April, in fact, I was dead set on his name being Spencer. While I don't regret his name obviously, maybe we'll use Spencer for our next boy.
President Monson, we love you. Keep my grandpas company up there, and I'm so glad you're with your wife again!

No comments:

Post a Comment