So after I posted my last blog, there was a celebration at the church for Nicaragua's Mother's Day. The program was actually a talent show. And since everyone in the branch loves to share their talents, everyone participated. One of these numbers was a dance number, and a bunch of women got up and started doing some type of salsa dancing. I leaned over to Annie and said, "Wow, I will NEVER be able to dance like that". Because it's true, they just move their hips in a way that I will never be able to understand. But right as I said that, one of the women danced over to me and held out her hands. I didn't need to speak Spanish to know what she wanted. At first I said no, because I was really embarrassed. Then, the worst possible thing happened--- the branch got on their feet and started CHEERING! I wanted to die, but I got up and started dancing with them. I was definitely the worst dancer on the floor, with the slowest moving hips by far... even more than the 65+ year old woman next to me. But Wes got it on video, and I was laughing the entire time. I said to the woman holding my hands, "No puedo bailar!" But she just laughed and told me to dance. I was also the tallest person there, most people only went up to my shoulders, if that. Then, Wes volunteered Annie and I to do Musical Chairs with some women in the branch. They take that game SERIOUSLY. There were some major elbows being thrown around there!
Today, we went to a different meeting from what the Sines normally go to. We went out to where a family meets for church every Sunday. They live far far away from the branch building. Seriously. It's 1 1/2 hour bus ride, THEN an hour long walk. So they don't always come to the branch, but they are faithful members of the Church. We were literally RIGHT on the Pacific Ocean (see above). And as there weren't many people there, they wanted all the "visitors" (aka us) to get up and speak. Of course, that included me. I panicked at first, but when Annie asked if I wanted Wes to translate for me my pride got in the way. So up I went, with my little friend in tow:
(Yes, he got up on my shoulder when I went to go speak. He squawked when anyone else tried to take him.)
All I knew about bearing my testimony in Spanish was from one text from Brandon, and for some reason I was able to remember it. So I got up and started with "No hablo Espanol, pero voy a tratar" (I don't speak Spanish, but I'm going to try) And then I got really choked up. That, more than anything, was amazing for me. I'm in Nicaragua, speaking a language I don't really understand in front of complete strangers, and the Church is STILL true. Awesome.
And then the father of the family (i didn't catch his name) was talking to me, and I was able to understand him! And he understood me most of the time. It wasn't perfect communication, but it was bastante. He asked me how I liked Nicaragua, and I said it was muy bonita. Then he started asking me about the number of members in my ciudad (sounded like Grandpa Myres, but in Spanish), and was so surprised when I said around a thousand. Then he asked me how often I go to the temple, and I got kind of ashamed of myself. Sometimes I just don't want to go, so I don't take advantage of the opportunities I have. (In my defense, the last time I really had a conflict in my schedule, CPR class that was the only time I could do it. But still.) I said we had the Newport Beach temple about 10 minutes from our house, and I go when I can. He said he has only gone to the temple once in his life, and that was on the trip that our family helped sponsor with the clay angels. I didn't even know what to say. That was humility beyond anything I've ever encountered. That family's definitely going to get exalted before I do.
Other than that? Nada. I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos (i'm not sure of the word in Spanish, but I'm pretty sure it's Molestaros... makes sense), and tomorrow I'm supposed to be teaching in preschool? Shoot.
wow, that's really cool. tommy was showing me the pictures from facebook--claira makes me crack up. so awesome.
ReplyDeleteI love nica. You sound like you are having an amazing experience.
ReplyDelete