So last night, Brandon and I went to the midnight premiere of "the Dark Knight Rises". It was my first midnight premiere, and I have to say... it did NOT disappoint. If you liked the other Batman movies, you'll love this one. It blew me away, so incredible. Some might think it's too dark, because it is super dark. The villain, Bain, is so terrifying. I chewed off all of my fingernails watching the movie. And, I have to admit, I cried. I won't tell you what part, but anyone who's seen it knows why.
Anyways, I hate that I can't say much about it because it was so amazing. However, the next morning we realized that not everyone had as great of a time as we did. I figure this is one of those things that will be remembered for a long time, so I want to write my feelings on it. I woke up at like 11 (after going to bed at 4, not bad), and stumbled out to the front room. Brandon was watching Mitt Romney on TV talking about an atrocity that had happened. I looked it up on the Internet, and learned about the shooting at the Aurora Colorado theater. It just made me sick. Aurora isn't that far away from where our friends' families live, and Brandon's grandparents, but it was just something that was so unprecedented. It's the worst massacre by one shooter in American history. It happened during the opening scene of the movie, which has a lot of shooting in it, which probably made the people think it was part of the movie. I was reading stories of witnesses who had survived this, and it broke my heart. There was the man who lost his girlfriend, because he had been shot in the arm and couldn't carry her unconscious body. Or the man who lost sight of his baby but jumped out of the balcony, running to get the police and save his family. One of the victims died covering his girlfriend from the bullets. One of the biggest ironies in this incident is the preview that Warner Brothers had just recently taken off of the list of previews for this movie. It's for a movie "Gangster Squad", set in the mobster time of America in LA. One of the scenes in the preview is a pre-planned attack of armed men firing in a crowded movie theater. When I read that (and looked up the preview... don't do it. it's too close to home right now), it just made my stomach drop.
This made me realize that things really can happen to you. With approximately 95% of Idaho's residents owning guns (or so it seems), some sick people could really have done damage. So it really shook me up, and made me want to celebrate our lives much more fully. Unfortunately, my first idea of how to do that was shut down by my sleepy husband. I wanted to go to Logan today and go to that temple, super spur of the moment. Poor Brandon's too tired to do it. But we're going to celebrate our summer, our marriage, our families, and our lives. It's awful that things like this have to happen, but I don't want to live in fear. I'm definitely going to do as much as I can.
Ugh, my thoughts are all mixed up about this right now. I'm just so grateful that my friends and family weren't involved in this, and I'm praying for the families of the victims right now. There are stories of heroism in this scene, and I hope it helps people realize that there's more good than evil in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment