Friday, February 22, 2013

Dallin takes the plunge.

No, he's not getting married.
HE'S TURNING IN HIS MISSION PAPERS!!!
(My response exactly.)
I can't believe it. I was definitely less emotional this time around, mainly because I was so surprised. I know I shouldn't have been, it just came on suddenly.

Dallin is who the Quorum of the 12 Apostles were thinking of when they decided to lower the mission age for men (see here). He is one of the most mature 17 year olds I have ever met; much more so than I was.
I'm so proud of my brothers. I think anyone who is able and willing to put aside 2 years of their lives in order to spread the Gospel is a hero of mine. It's such a step of maturity, and for a 17 year old to be so ready that he finishes his papers before the end of high school is amazing. I'm so sad to have 2 brothers out at the same time, only because I'll miss them. But I'd rather them be gone than not go at all.
Dallin is a great younger brother, and I'm sure he is a very wonderful older brother to Bethany and Cole. His example of being so ready to go on a mission will ring in their ears for a while, the same way Austin's preparing to go on a mission stuck with them.
Speaking of heroes, there are plenty  in my family. I have 2 parents who served missions (San Jose and Houston), now 2 brothers who are on a mission/going on a mission (Montreal and ????), a brother-in-law who served (Denmark), a sister-in-law who served (Santa Rosa), a father-in-law (Japan), and of course, my sweet husband (Bolivia). In addition, I have 12 uncles who went on missions, 6 aunts, and my grandpa Murphy. And don't even get me started on the cousins (20 and counting, if I counted correctly). There are so many wonderful examples in our family for little Dane, and for other boys and girls that will be born into our family. I love the idea of Dallin being a missionary. While Austin is a powerhouse in an extroverted way, Dallin has a sweet and mellow demeanor that will draw people to him. He will never lose his temper with his companions, because I still have yet to see him get angry.

If you couldn't tell, I'm a proud sister. Dallydoooooooo!!!!!
(Don't worry, I'm already planning on making a blanket.)

No comments:

Post a Comment