Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013- Twoo wuv.

So, this is a little mushy but it's ok. 
Brandon has basically carried me thus far through student teaching. He has made dinner most nights, which I know is surprising to some women. In addition, he'll get up about every other day to make me a bagel and send me off at 7 A.M. Some other student teachers have made frozen dinners so their husbands can survive, but I think it's the opposite for us. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he just lived to help me out. But he's in the hardest semester of his BYUI career, and he's just that nice. I'm very grateful for his help, because otherwise I would not have survived this far.
Fast forward to this week. Poor boy has been sick for the first time since 2010. He was blessed to not get sick when he was working nights, and I know that was not a coincidence. But, he started to get sick around the 12th. And you know what his biggest concern was? Making sure I had a good Valentine's Day. I told him to not worry about it, and we could celebrate once he was feeling better.
I woke up on Valentine's Day and walked to the kitchen to find this:
He had snuck out after I went to bed the night before, so I could have this when I woke up! Of course my allergies started acting up... ahem ahem. There was also: a can of guarana (my favorite soda), a bag of s'mores Goldfish, and lots of boxes of conversation hearts. It was so sweet of him.
In addition, being at an elementary school on Valentine's Day is much more fun and less destructive than Halloween (see here for more details). This may be because the children are thinking about what they get to give, instead of what they get to receive. I got plenty of valentines from my students (and not a single one spelled Giullian right... not that I was expecting it). I brought red velvet cookies for my 4th grade math class, to keep up my end of a deal. I also had spend the last week working on this for my 1st grade class:
I was worried that after crocheting 23 hearts, I would get there and there would be 24 kids. Luckily, I counted right. And Mrs. Stanger made sure they knew how cool it was that I MADE them. Which, I appreciated so that they wouldn't say it's stupid, but it didn't take that long per heart. Just the combined 23 of them took a while. I got lots of hugs and "I love it!" from them.
While getting dressed for Valentine's Day, I realized I don't own much pink. I decided to do something about that, and used the heart pattern for a headband:
I was worried it would look stupid, but kids said they liked it.

We're still holding out on Brandon's recovery to really celebrate Valentine's Day, but it was a good day to remind me of how much I love that guy. He is so thoughtful, and gets me through everything that I think is too hard to handle. I'm very lucky to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment