First of all, this is something my friend posted on Facebook. And this goes out to everyone who may think that getting an education degree was the "easy way out":
Try it. I dare you!
Day 21. I've started to read books about bullying and being nice to all of our friends to my kindergarteners, because we've had some name-calling issues. When I asked them what they should say when someone's picking on them, they usually respond with, "Bullies never win!" (the title of a book). However, 10 seconds later they start teasing and crying again. I haven't given up yet!
Day 22. We had a kindergartener who was refusing to do his homework, because he wanted to do it at home with his mommy. I was trying so many ways to get him to do his work, when finally something clicked. A boy wanted a stamp after his work was done, and I told him he and everyone else who finished their worksheet could get a stamp. This little boy's eyes filled up with tears, and he asked, "Can I just get a bad boy stamp, because I didn't do my work?" I told him no, people who didn't finish their work didn't get stamps. That got the message across. He started wailing, but it was time to bring the kids back. Ms. Blair and Mrs. Geyer stepped in to talk to him, and I took the other kids back. I came back, and started coloring a picture of a heart. I said I got to color this picture because I finished my work. His ears perked up, and he filled out the whole worksheet in about 3 minutes flat. This had been after an HOUR of waiting, when the kids are supposed to only be there for half an hour. As he was leaving, he turned to me and said, "I thought I got to color a picture now, because I did my work!" I had a hard time controlling my innermost thoughts, but I said, "Well, if you do your work next time, then you will get to color a picture." OH MY GOSH.
Day 23. The third graders had the chance to draw a picture of a frog and write a quick story about it. Most of the stories went along the lines of: "My frog is green. My frog croaks. My frog eats flies." Then, there's one picture of a yellow frog with claws. The story says, "My frog is very big. He is a cannibal. He eats other frogs. He likes to eat snakes too. He is very big, you should run and hide from him." I was so confused... but I guess it's his frog!
Day 24. We're on a quest for the children to get 100% on the math assignments in 4th grade. I told them if they all get 100% on an assignment, then I'll go jump in the snow. 3 out of 5 children have done it, but the other 2 are still working on it. I'll keep up the incentive.
Day 25. I've been working on making valentines for my 1st grade class (to win them over when I go there in 2 1/2 weeks), and have been crocheting little hearts. I'll take a picture of them when I'm done. But I've been doing that in my spare time in the classroom, when students aren't there of course.
So, fast forward to today. I'm sitting there grading papers while my students are getting ready to go to lunch, and a 3rd grader comes up to me. She says, "Umm, my mom wants you to make me one of those hearts. She knows how to do that stuff and wants you to make me one." I didn't even know what to do, so I just sat there. Luckily Mrs. Geyer stepped in and said, "Mrs. Giullian is working on something with those hearts." I said I could get her the pattern, but she never asked for it. Many of her stories are of... questionable integrity... so I have no idea if her mom actually crochets. But I was pretty shocked by the boldness to ask for one. They crack me up.

No comments:
Post a Comment