(This is a little late, but oh well.)
Happy Birthday to my mom! As my birthday present to her (in addition to a card that will be there later), I thought I'd put up the ways I've noticed I'm turning into her. I know she'll laugh, because these are ironic.
1) When I get really excited about something, I'll hit or grab the person's arm next to me.
2) When I see something inappropriate on T.V., I'll tell Brandon "Well, we're definitely NOT going to watch that!"
3) I've described things as "yucky" or "silly".
4) I'm now more concerned with if my siblings meet people who are "nice", rather than popular.
5) I can't stay up late anymore... it's just too much.
My mom's been one of the best examples of not settling her standards in media. Whenever Brandon asks me about 90's shows, my answer usually is "We weren't allowed to watch it". Now when I think about how I want to be as a parent, and watching Alyse and Tommy with Dane, I see the wisdom behind it. I know that my standards have slipped.... from when I was 5... and even in the last few years. But thinking about it has renewed my conviction that we need to be vigilant about this.
I also talk to my mom ALL the time. We've really developed a friendship over the last few years, and I love it. She's the second person I want to call when anything happens, besides Brandon.
Happy Birthday Mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment