Friday, August 16, 2013

Night school.

So, I am so grateful for my degree. I love it so much. It gives me plenty of career opportunities, and in different fields. The only thing I would change is the fact that the education part only extends to 3rd grade.
I just got a call the State Department of Education. Since I am teaching Special Ed up to 4th grade, my current certificate is no good. They said I'll need to be put on an alternative authorization, and take 30 credits. I got on the phone and talked to them, and they told me pretty much the same thing. Now, I was already in the middle of training, so I was in no mood for bad news. I then called BYU-Idaho, because they are starting a Generalist Special Education program (extends to 12th grade). I told them I needed to be enrolled in the program immediately. They said, "Well, you already got your degree so there's not much we can do for you". I almost threw my phone into the wall, and sat down with my hands keeping the migraine back.

I still haven't gotten the classes figured out, and thinking about going to night school while teaching makes me want to die, but I guess this is good. When I am done with it, I will be certified to teach General Ed from Kindergarten to 8th grade (although I'll have to get certified in a special subject to teach 6-8 grade), and Special Education from birth to 12th grade. Not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. at least it worked out so you only need to do 3 classes! way to stick with it though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, it could have been so much worse. I just need to remember that when I'm in the middle of it!

    ReplyDelete