Saturday, May 17, 2014

Weekend in Boise

This past weekend was the Famous Idaho Potato marathon. We had decided to make a weekend out of it and spend 2 nights there, it was great!
I got the day off on Friday, so we left Friday morning. We drove through the Craters of the Moon national park, and saw a lot of the beauty that's in the Gem State:
Fact: Craters of the Moon was created thousands of years ago when lava boiled up through the ground.. And it was beautiful.
We drove through some tiny towns, including a town of 74. Wow.
We first stopped to get lunch in Boise, in Chipotle (of course). We then went to the temple, which was just one exit down from our hotel. It was GORGEOUS. I just wish we could have gotten a picture of more of it, but it's hedged in with the freeway...
So temple #18 for us!
Saturday was race day. Brandon woke me up at 5:15 to get ready for the race, and we were off. 
(Stretching...)
Brandon did SO well on his half!! I passed him probably 5 or 6 times, and made sure to honk or scream so he knew I was supporting him. He ran it in 2:00 flat! And he didn't stop running the whole time, even though his knee was hurting pretty bad by mile 10. I made it to the finish line about 3 minutes before he did, so I wasn't sure if he made it before me or not!
So here's when things got a little hairy. We had to get to the start of the 10k race, but there wasn't even an address. Just a poorly marked map. Aaaaand, I missed the start of my race. By a solid 3 minutes hahahaha. I was running way in the back by myself. The good news is I had about 350 "kills" (when you pass someone), because I passed all the walkers. And I ran it! I checked my time a few times, and stopped to get some water, but other than that I kept going. At about mile 4.6 I stepped off the trail and twisted my ankle. Ouch. But luckily it doesn't hurt too much, more like my ankle. And look at these spectators I found at Mile 5! (Yes I stopped to take a picture, it was too good not to):
GIRAFFES! I'm guessing we're by the zoo or something.
And I finished it! I really tried to kick it at the end, but I was pretty beat. I ran it in 1:14, which I am perfectly ok with! And Brandon was surprised, he thought I'd still be another 15 minutes or so. So that's a confidence booster.
Then he told me to flex: 
My sleeve chafed under my arm like CRAZZZZY. 
So there you have it. We ended up getting Brandon a knee brace, and it's helped a lot.
Side note: we also went to 2 restaurants that have been on food shows: Westside drove in from DD&D, and Flying Pie Pizza from Man vs. Food. Prettttttty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment