Saturday, October 18, 2014

Out of the loop

In case you're wondering why I haven't been good about blogging for a while, it's because of this:
(I took this picture because I literally thought I was seeing things... I was home alone and Brandon was at school, I couldn't believe it. PREGNANT?!)
And this:
(Nope I can't see the baby either. Which is why hearing the heartbeat was such a relief.)
And this:
(My dad came into town about a week after my morning sickness hit so I had to tell him!)
And this:
(I've never felt love so quickly as when I saw that turkey kicking and dancing around. There's a BABY in there!)
And this:
(Ice, Ice, Baby- how we announced it to the world!) and no, I don't really have a belly yet. Losing weight does that to you.

So to back up: I've felt like we should have a baby for a while. But we both got the feeling that I needed to focus on teaching last year. I taught, we moved, I looked for a teaching job. Couldn't find one.
On their first day of school, I dropped Brandon off for his first day of orientation and went downtown to talk to the school district about substitute teaching. I grabbed a bagel from Einstein's (so good) and as I was walking out I saw the CVS and the thought came to me, "Grab a pregnancy test." Umm, why? Sure, whatever.
As you can see, it turned up positive. I LOST MY MIND. I was hyperventilating and freaking out from excitement. Me? Now? Really? But there was also a lot of fear. I didn't want to get too excited in case I went in and they  couldn't find a heartbeat.
But at the same time, AHHHHHHHH! So I thought of how to tell Brandon. I went to Target to buy a onesie to give to him after his white coat ceremony, and then waited. And waited. Longest wait of my life!
After his white coat ceremony, I came out and took pictures of his class. My hands were shaking so much. He hugged me and asked to see the pictures I took, so I gave him my phone. He went one too far and saw the test and I said "NO you weren't supposed to see that!" And yanked my phone out of his hands. He said, "Wait, seriously? Are you?" I nodded and my eyes filled up with tears as I realized this made it not just my hallucination anymore. He hugged me and said, "I'm so happy for you!" "Me?! US!!" His face went a little pale and he said, "Oh yeah, I'm going to be a dad... I think I need to sit down." A lot to take in for one day.
So I scheduled my first appointment, and unfortunately Brandon couldn't come. I was so nervous… What if the heartbeat wasn't there? What if the food poisoning feeling I had had for the last week was just food poisoning and not morning sickness? I had only been able to keep down wheat thins and ginger ale for a long time. When the ultrasound tech pulled up the picture of the baby, it wasn't there. I got a little bit nervous until they showed me a flash of movement, and said "see that? It's the baby." Then they pulled up a heartbeat and they said it was perfect. So my fears started to go away.
And we told my dad at just 7 weeks the day after that first ultrasound, because I had been feeling so badly and couldn't keep anything down. He was so excited and happy to be the first person we told.
And the rest is history! Brandon and I feel so blessed to have this little tiny person joining our family. We aren't entirely sure what we want to have. Brandon wants a girl, but we will be so excited no matter what happens.
At the ultrasound Thursday, the baby wouldn't roll over for the technician. They wanted to get a cute profile picture, but it wouldn't give it to them. When the tech pushed on my stomach to move it around, the baby just turned so its back was to us. So we saw its spine for the rest of the ultrasound. She said "Seems like you have a baby with strong opinions." That didn't surprise us at all. Just dancing and kicking away! Wiggling its bum, just like its dad.
Estimated arrival date: April 28, 2015.


PS: morning sickness is the WORST. As much as I tried to look at it from the perspective of "just a reminder that baby's still there!", it got way annoying to eat one bite and then throw up. So I feel for all women with morning sickness... And hopefully I will stop losing weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment