So a few weeks ago, we went to an "Infant CPR and Safety" class that the hospital offered. I've been CPR certified in the past, but wanted to make sure I could remember the correct principles in case I needed to use it. Brandon came (a little bit hesitantly at first), but he was glad he came so that he could learn things about safety. We learned about checking cribs, sheets, things to not have around the house, bolting furniture, foods, etc.
BUT. There was one moment that really made Brandon and I kind of stare at each other. We were discussing how to help a choking infant (under the age of 1), with the back slaps and chest thrusts and whatnot. One of the older women in the class (the grandma to the unborn child), who said she had just retired from being a nurse for the last 45 years, raised her hand and asked, "So, as a last resort or something, would you ever pick up the child by their ankles to try and help dislodge the choking hazard?" I just looked at Brandon. I reallllllllly hope she never tried at as a nurse. Luckily, the course teacher was quick to shut that down. As Brandon put it, "We're trying to save the kid's life, not go through their pockets for change!"
For the record, DO NOT DO THAT.
BUT. There was one moment that really made Brandon and I kind of stare at each other. We were discussing how to help a choking infant (under the age of 1), with the back slaps and chest thrusts and whatnot. One of the older women in the class (the grandma to the unborn child), who said she had just retired from being a nurse for the last 45 years, raised her hand and asked, "So, as a last resort or something, would you ever pick up the child by their ankles to try and help dislodge the choking hazard?" I just looked at Brandon. I reallllllllly hope she never tried at as a nurse. Luckily, the course teacher was quick to shut that down. As Brandon put it, "We're trying to save the kid's life, not go through their pockets for change!"
For the record, DO NOT DO THAT.
No comments:
Post a Comment