Sunday, May 28, 2017

Grandpa Myres.

I can't even believe that I'm writing this post, so soon after Grandpa Murphy passed away (only 7 months ago).
Grandpa Myres passed away early this morning. He had been fighting multiple myeloma for a few months, and they had just decided to take him off of chemo and start him on hospice a few weeks ago. I'm grateful that he went before he had the really painful end of cancer life experience.
To know Grandpa was to know his sayings. "Kill Your Television". "Soda is just water and chemicals". "Do the Difficult". "Nulla Vestigia Retrorsum" (the only Icelandic saying I know). "Iceland is king" (Ok, he never said that directly but he loved Iceland). "How is the kingdom being built in ____?" And also "How are the police in ____?" "BYU Idaho is really something. You know, they took the dean of the business school of Harvard. That school is amazing." "Nothing better than a good watermelon, Nothing worse than a bad watermelon." And I can go on and on. 
He thought his family was the best. I am so grateful that he got to seal us, and impart some marriage wisdom on us. The only thing I remember is him telling us "Every day, I ask my wife 'What can I do to make your life better today?' ". I am not NEARLY that celestial in my behavior, but his is the epitome of a loving marriage.
Grandpa overcame some amazing challenges. The fact that he lived as long as he did is an anomaly. Just in the last 10 years that I can remember, Grandpa had prostate cancer, broke his neck in two places, broke his arm, and was diagnosed with this last round of cancer. And I know my mom told the story of how he had to walk with 2 canes in his 30's. He wasn't supposed to live this long, which I am grateful for. He got see so much of his posterity. I'm so grateful that we got to fly out to see him in April, and that he got to hang out with Cora. If I had known we had such little time with him, I would have been less worried about keeping Cora's germs away from him. But he really laughed at Cora and got a kick out of her antics. She of course lived it up.
I'm so glad that I made him take a picture sitting behind Cora. He was about to go to bed but I was worried that it could be the last time we saw him so I asked him to take a picture. Cora was making a face and Grandpa wouldn't even look at me because he was just laughing at her.


We love you, Grandpa. I'm so sad that 2 of the big pillars in my life are gone. My 2 grandpas have always been a big part of my life, and I can't believe that it will be so long until I see them again. I'm so sad that they both went while my parents are doing the right thing and being in Ecuador. How does that seem fair? He is a giant of a man, and I hope we can live up to his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment