The type of music that you listen to defines who you are. I have found so many times that when I sit in someone's car, and their music comes on, I instantly judge them. Hardcore music? They think their lives are hard. Same with the whiny music like Owl City and Dashboard Confessional. Rap? Think they're thugs. If you like "my" type of music, you're cool. Pop? They obviously follow the trends. It's just too easy to classify people by the music they prefer. (Note- I'm listening to rap right now, so I can classify myself in any of those genres)
But it goes further than that. Music DOES define you in the end. Music can change your emotions at the drop of a hat. People say things to music that they wouldn't say normally. Happy, sad, angry, sexual, anything. I still get an adrenaline rush from "Take a Bow" by Muse, although that may be because of "Big Brother". I have playlists for dancing music, which always gets me on my feet; pumping it up, which gets me ready to work out; chill music, which makes me relaxed, etc.
I realize that I need to be more selective in the music I allow on my computer. I have some music which is so fun to play and listen to, but that was the only song someone heard to get to know who I was, they would totally get the wrong idea. Maybe I should edit my music.
No comments:
Post a Comment