Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sunday School Day 1

So I taught Sunday School for the first time on Sunday... It was one of the scariest moments of my life. My class ended up being about 75% RMs, which intimidated me a little bit more. Here they had served a mission for two years learning alllll about the Church and its teachings, and I was supposed to teach them a lesson? Ha, that's a joke.  My friend Mitch advised me that if I read the lesson the Sunday BEFORE, and thought about it through the week, I would find ways to connect it to the class' lives, and the issue of getting the class to discuss wouldn't be so bad. I decided to take his advice, and it worked. My mom called me a few days into the week, and told me about this talk by Elder Scott, titled "To Help a Loved One in Need". My lesson plan was about Cain vs Enoch, and their attitudes towards God. However, while reading this talk I knew that I had to take it a different direction. Instead, I made my lesson about the wayward child. It was a pretty tender subject, and I was crying a lot in the library while preparing it... which probably made people wonder who died. But I felt confident in what I had done, and just prayed that it was the right choice.
D Day rolled around, and I was standing in front of the class wondering what the Sunday School president (who was sitting in the back just to watch me) had gotten me into. Some of my friends (RMs) were sitting in the third row directly in front of the podium. I didn't know until afterwards that they had a game going to see who could make me laugh and smile the most. It worked. When I stood up and announced "so I decided to take the lesson a different direction", Mitch gave me the thumbs up. I had people read scriptures and quotes, and felt like it was successful. I only started to cry a little bit once, while sharing a story. When I looked up and there were 15 minutes left of class, i thought "ohhhh shoot". However, the best thing happened. People began raising their hands, and shared experiences they had had, and took up 10-12 (not a joke this time Alyse) of the remaining minutes. Afterwards, I got plenty of hugs and "good jobs" from people.
In other news, referring to a missionary in the possessive is one of my new pet peeves. He is NOT yours, he is the Lord's... until he gets home. That's all.

2 comments: