One of the hardest things about this major for me is hearing all the stories of the families who have a child with a disability. I've always had a very tender spot in my heart for people who can't help themselves. People with disabilities and little children are at the top of that list. So working with infants and toddlers with disabilities is my epitome of doing some good. But it comes with a price for me. I've come home so many days on the verge of tears, because my heart breaks for these families. They tell you a lot, and they don't censor themselves. I am currently working with a child, and her family is so kind and so loving. Such great parents, it just makes me sad that they have to go through these trials. I heard that a girl who I had grown to know and love probably wouldn't live past her 10th birthday, and I heard another story about a girl who suffered 40-50 seizures a day, but her elementary school teacher called her a "distraction" and asked for her to be taken out of her classroom. Stories like that just make me angry at the "professionals" for not doing their jobs.
I never realized how blessed my family was until I got into this major. There are many families who don't even have the support of their extended family to keep their lives afloat. When I hear stories like this, it motivates me even more to be the best professional possible in whatever I do with my degree, and make their lives as easy as possible.
It also makes me so grateful for the Gospel. I would not be able to handle this major and profession if it weren't for my knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, and that families can be together forever. Because seriously, what's the point in going through so many trials if you think that death is just the end of life? I don't know, and I know that if I die and find out that my religious beliefs were wrong then at least I was happy and tried my best to be a good person during my earthly life. These children and their families who suffer so much will be blessed for it, and they will live together without the impairments for eternity.
My aunt Kristin shared this link on Facebook, and I love how kind this mother is!
http://www.godvine.com/Mother-s-Inspiring-Video-About-her-Blind-Baby-Boy-1484.html
No comments:
Post a Comment