Saturday, January 26, 2013

Third Week of Student Teaching

Day 11. We had a "work day" on Monday, instead of enjoying MLK Day like everyone else. However, it was a great experience. I helped to build an igloo out of milk jugs with my 1st grade cooperating teacher, and had the chance to talk more with my  cooperating teachers and get to know them. 7 hours was not that bad.
Day 12. While talking with some girls about what they wanted to be when they grew up:
Me: Do you want to be a mom?
Girl: No, that's gross! I know what happens when you have a baby!
Me: Ok, so what do you want to be?
Girl: I'll give you a hint, it starts with a "V".
Me: Vacuum?
Girl: Nooo! A vet! I want to be an animal operator!
Me: Wait a second. You want to cut animals open for a living but you don't want to have a baby?
Girl: NO! That's gross!
Day 13. The kids aren't allowed to come inside before school until it's below 0. Don't ask me why, but that's the rule. My cooperating teacher and I were on bus duty, which includes walking around and helping the kids One of the cute little boys was crying because he wanted the bell to ring, and buried his face into my coat. Luckily it's waterproof, because he cried a lot. When he pulled away my coat was soaked and my boots had teardrops on them. The funniest part was that when the bell rang, he started crying harder. I said, "NO NO, you said you wanted the bell to ring and it did. Be happy! You can go inside now!" He ran away from me crying. I love those kids sometimes.
Day 14. The bad weather and moisturizer combination is making puberty hit my face like crazy... which is grade when you have kindergarteners come up to you and say "Why do you have spots on your face?" Thanks...
Day 15. Today, I had a great experience with a child. We were dealing with behavioral incidences from a lot of students, and I finally pulled one out of the room into the hall. I was going to scold him, but I had the feeling to tell him that I loved him too much to let him do that. It was amazing to see what happened. He calmed down immediately, and for the rest of the day held my hand and gave me hugs. So I kept reinforcing that I loved him, and that I want him to have a good day. When I dropped him off, he gave me a drawing of a snowman that "he" had made (I'm not sure if he did, but I loved it). It brought a lump to my throat, because I realized that these kids just want love from their teachers. I want to tell my class I love them at least once a day, so they can have that reinforced.

No comments:

Post a Comment