Friday, April 22, 2011

A little bit more about Brandon...

So this is my pity party post. I got turned down for the promotion that I had been expressing interest in for about 8 months today via letter. So I'm in a self-pitying mood.
I can't get a hold of Brandon for most of the day on weekends now, because he took up a job of which I am so proud. He is working from 7 PM to 7 AM in a nursing home/ assisted living home, making the resident's lives easier. It's not a pretty job, as he helps them bathe and get ready and go to the bathroom, if needed. It's something that I would have a hard time doing, but he loves it. He just told me stories when we were on the phone about how nice the residents were, and how much fun he had doing it. I'm not a person who stays up all hours of the night (anymore), so the fact that he could be so cheerful while doing something that unpleasant is amazing to me. He was actually excited to go to work tonight, because there are 3 residents who go to bed at about 11 PM, and so for the first 4 hours of his shift (after he gets the other residents to bed) he will just make them snacks and cook for the next day while chatting with them. That takes a very special person, and I'm glad that I get to marry someone who is that genuinely nice. He enjoyed talking with an old man who has autism, and an old woman who suffers from Alzheimer's and dementia was sad that she was "too old for him". He genuinely enjoys these people, and has already had one pass away since he started on Wednesday. It just amazes me how kind he is to everyone, and not just to me.
So yes, I know I've blogged a lot about Brandon lately. It's pretty hard to be away from him, especially as it is likely that I won't see him until the wedding. It was rough to go from spending many hours every day with him, to only being able to talk to him via phone and texting. (and skype but we haven't done that yet.)  I can't even talk about it too much, because then I tear up and get a lump in my throat. I know I'm somewhat emotionally open, but I've never been this attached to someone. Which is probably a good thing.
However, I've decided to pick up hobbies that I hadn't done before. My new one? Crocheting. Which is amusing, but I'm hooked now. My goal is to be able to make an afghan, but I've only learned one stitch so we'll see how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. too cute!! You are marrying a wonderful man who can do that (I am a very grumpy person at those late hours so I'm very impressed! Dave is too, but don't tell him I told you so haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all of that is VERY impressive!! Great idea to take up some hobbies. This is the best time in your life to do so... Hope the time flies by quickly for you! :)

    ReplyDelete