I think that whoever said "Pregnancy is bliss" was never actually pregnant.
Or if they were, they never had a "typical" first trimester.
Or if they were, they never had a "typical" first trimester.
They didn't struggle with food aversions, when something as simple as peanut butter brings up awful memories of vomiting and you can't bear to look at it.
They were probably able to continue their exercise regimen, because their pregnancy didn't come with a warning label that moving faster than a snail's pace might cause... yep, throwing up.
They never had breakdowns because they were SO hungry and yet so nauseous, and weren't sure if they could even keep a baby alive like that.
They never had to swallow their guilt as the only thing that helped them feel better was a Taco Bell soft taco (my current craving).
And a million other, much more horrifying and TMI things that have happened.
So many people have said, "Just be grateful that you can get pregnant at all", and to that I just roll my eyes. I can be grateful for the miracle happening, but still miserable over what it is doing to my body right now. Nobody beyond Brandon, myself, and Heavenly Father knows what it took for this to happen. So I am very grateful, but losing 15 pounds is nothing to cough at.
AND I know it could be worse. And at the very least, so many other women go through what I have, and don't always have the support system I do. Which does help me feel a little better. My mom told me now I can see why a mother will do anything for their child, because the "bonding" begins right away, for better or worse.
In closing, here is a picture I found online and laughed really hard at. Because that's how I feel right now.
I'm just waiting to get to the part when people say they love being pregnant.

"Just be grateful that you can get pregnant at all." For some women, getting pregnant is the hard part. For some women being pregnant is the hard part. It's not fair to trivialize what you're going through by saying that you've got it better than someone else, especially when that someone else can eat whatever they want. I think you are absolutely allowed to feel what you're feeling.
ReplyDeleteThanks Amber! I agree, people struggle with different phases of the child bearing/raising stages. I would NEVER turn that statement around and say "Well at least you've never had morning sickness!" Because that sounds so crazy and rude right?
Delete