Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Half Marathon Training, Part 1

One thing about me: I HATE running. I know it's good for me, and one of the easiest ways to stay in shape, but I hate it. I've been trying to get myself into the habit of running now, so that I can exercise whenever I get pregnant. 
So, on my bucket list (to the right of the blog posts), it says, "Run a marathon".
Brandon found this list, and reminded me. I told him that if I could edit that, I could change it to "half marathon". I realized that while I'll probably never hike Mount McKinley, or visit 3 other continents, I want to finish SOMETHING on my bucket list. So I found some half marathons in September in Utah, and found a training schedule. I found this one:
http://www.halfmarathons.net/training_tips_schedule_beginner_runners.html
It's 12 weeks to a half marathon. It starts with 3 miles a day, which I was starting for my 5K anyways. I showed it to Brandon, and he, in his infinite wisdom, said, "I think this might be for people who are already running every day." (he didn't see the link, and that it said "Beginner runners".)
Now, the WORST thing you can do is tell me I can't, or shouldn't, do something. Even if you're right. So now I am dead set on doing this! Even if I am not going to run that exact half marathon, I want to be able to run 13 miles by the third week of September.
Also, Brandon said if I do it he'll take me to Disneyland.
 I enjoy running at night, because it's cool and not as many people are out. Between the first and second day I ran, I cut 10 minutes off my time.
It's also helping me naturally want to eat healthier. Brandon said that one of the best things to drink after a run is chocolate milk, because they're usually fortified and it's what they give runners after races. You don't have to tell ME twice. I'm also avoiding soda, because whenever I want it I think, "How will that affect my run tonight?" I'm eating balanced meals, and not overeating. It's amazing what a little motivation can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment