Saturday, March 10, 2012

March 10

So March 10 has been a great date in Brandon and my history. Everyone should remember what happened last year on March 10, but let's be honest it was the most special for me.
But what about the lesser known March 10 in our relationship? I mentioned in the link above that we got engaged on our 1 year anniversary. So, that means March 10, 2010 was the day we became "official". You know, the day of the D.T.R. (Determine The Relationship, for those who don't know)
That day was a pretty funny day. Not at the time, but now. Brandon and I had been "kind of" dating (but really we spent all our time together so we were) for almost a month. I was worried about getting into a serious relationship with a returned missionary, because we all know how that ends! So he was ready to take it to the next step and I was dragging my feet. I had a ton of stuff to do that day, and I was way stressed out. But the highlight of the night was going to be my date with Brandon to 50 cent wings at Pizza Hut. Then, during my ED 200 class (I still remember), Brandon texted me and said "This girl from my Public Speaking class wants me to go over to her apartment tonight and watch 'Twilight' with her." I saw that, and my stomach dropped. First of all, NO WAY was he going to go over there! But, then I realized something. If I liked him this much and didn't want him to go over to another girl's apartment, then why was I dragging my feet on this relationship thing? I couldn't be the psycho girl he was kind of dating. Once I was the girlfriend, then he would KNOW that he couldn't go over to other girls' apartments. Note: There are so many capital letters here because I was really freaking out about it during class. So I decided to talk about that with him that night. But first, I had to see what he would say about going over to the other girl's place. I texted him as casually as possible saying, "Well, what are you going to do?" After what felt like an eternity, I got the message. "Well, we have a date tonight don't we? I'd much rather be with you." That was it. No way was I letting some other chick take him away!
So when it was time for the date, Brandon burst in my front door with this:
He said "I knew you were having a busy day, so I hope these help!" Seriously guys, how cute is that?!
We went to Pizza Hut, and discovered that their 50 cent wings are actually not that great. Afterwards, we went back to his apartment and just talked for a while. I wanted to bring this whole little "girl" thing up, but I was too nervous with his roommate around. So I said, "Can we talk?" meaning, can we go somewhere else. He said, "Sure, what do you want to talk about?" I looked at him, and gestured with my head towards the door. Finally he got the hint, and we went out to his car (with it's wonderful seat warmers).
I sat there for a little bit, then blurted out, "I don't want to be that crazy jealous girl that you are kind of dating. But I don't want you to be going to other girls' apartments. It makes me crazy to think of you with another girl. I think I'm ready to stop dragging my feet on this relationship." Brandon sat there for a while, as I awaited my fate. Finally he said, "So you want to make this official?" "Yep." "Ok, I guess it's official."
... and that was it. I guess it wasn't really that different from how it had been 5 minutes before, except now we couldn't date other people without there being REAL problems.
And here we are 2 years later. We've been married for almost 7 months, and I love Brandon so much. He really is my best friend, and living with him has been great. We're still in newlywed bliss, which is how I think it should be when you're married for 7 months.
I just think of this date for the last 2 years, and how much sadder my life would have been if I had not said yes (or "yep"). Those were the best 2 decisions I've ever made thus far in my life. Love you Brandon!

1 comment: