Around this time of year, I always get a little bit sadder as I think about what happened to our family years ago. I've never really documented it so I thought I would now.
This week 11 years ago, my uncle Joel passed away from melanoma. I remember holding week and a half old Cole when I heard the news. He had fought a hood fight and needed to be released from his pains, but to 10 year old me it just didn't make sense. How could (one of) my crazy cool uncles die at the age of 30? How could Heavenly Father take him away from his beautiful wife Natalie, and a family that loved him more than anything? He was in medical school at UCI, and would come over often. I think out of the funerals i've been to in my life, that was the hardest to go to. I sat in the nursery instead of going on because I couldn't even think of going in. Even now, I'm amazed at how strong everyone was.
But there is a my so sad part to this. From this experience at such a tender age for me, I learned the meaning of eternal families. From then on, I wanted to be worthy to see Joel again, because I had such fond feelings for him. I also told Brandon that i've wanted to name one of our boys Joel.
I know families can be together forever. I've seen the comfort that this doctrine has brought to families during difficult situations. We still miss and love Joel, but we know that he is doing something great (and probably a little bit mischievous, from the stories I've heard about him from his younger days) on the other side of the veil, and just wants us to see him again. I know that I for one will do what it takesto get back to heaven, because I want to be with my eternal family. And that is my testimony.
No comments:
Post a Comment