This semester was rough. So I'm turning it into a list of things I've learned.
1) I can do hard things. If I can get through this semester with some of my wits about me, then I can get through any other semester that is coming my way.
2) Take responsibility for your actions. I taught 5 times this semester. Each time, there was something I forgot to do, or something I forgot to get before the lesson. Etc. I had to own up and face the music about that, because I would get marked down. I just sucked it up and let the teacher tell me what I could have done better. I saw some other people who would blame what went wrong on their lesson with "Well, I said..." "Well, it should have..." "Wa waaaaaaaaaaa." It's just more adult-like to say "I'm sorry, I will do better next time."
3) If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I would get critiqued after every one of my lessons, and sometimes they were brutal. It's something about the 6-on-1 mentality that gave people the idea that they could say anything they wanted and get away with it. I know that in the beginning I did that too, but I learned something after a while. If I didn't have something positive to say about that part of someone else's lesson, I could just keep quiet. Some days I didn't say a single thing. But I am glad, because I felt good about only contributing positively to someone's day. In addition, many of the people who were quickest to jump at things that didn't go right did not have the best lessons either. So heh heh haters.
4) Don't procrastinate. Many of my big projects were things that took the entire semester. If I had waited until the last possible minute like I had last semester, Brandon would have probably died. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's not nearly as stressful.
5) Heavenly Father really understands girls. I have had plenty of classes that are all girls, or all girls with a few exceptions. After a while in all of these classes, the gauntlet gets thrown, the gloves are removed and the claws emerge. Cliques come out, and we always talk about that one girl who drives us insane. It happens everywhere. However, I think Heavenly Father knew I would be this stressed out with people by the end of the semester, because I have made some great friends from these classes. I had 3 girls that were in class with me for 24 hours a week, and I would not have made it without them. Thanks Kelli, Melanie, and Casey! There were many more girls that made my life easier, you know who you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment