Tuesday, February 7, 2012

2 Years

So as I am a typical girl, I remember pretty much every date in our relationship. Well, the important ones. As of midnight, today is 2 years since our first date. Sooooo, I thought I would talk a little bit about it!
So, when I met Brandon I was not looking for a boyfriend. I had just been going on dates with the wrong guys, and was skeptical of any guy who talked to me. Brandon was my home teacher and in my Family Home Evening group, which meant I saw him at least once a week. I had tried to flirt with him a few times, but he never really seemed to respond. However, he did have my number as he was a good Home Teacher and made sure we knew we could talk to him if we needed help. He had also brought us homemade Oreos, which are still a staple in our dessert cuisine.
So the first weekend of February, we decided to throw a bonfire and wanted to invite guys. I texted that cute home teacher, and asked him if he wanted to go with us. He called me back, and asked what day it was. I said we weren't sure, and asked if he could go on Friday. He said, "Umm, I have plans". I thought "Date", and figured he had a girlfriend or something. Especially when he said Saturday he was going to be with his friends. I still invited him over to the Super Bowl on Sunday (another post).
Ok ok, now to the first date. It was a Monday night, and we had a dating fireside. Yes, a DATING fireside. I didn't go to the first half, but made it to the second. I sat next to some guys I knew, including Brandon. While getting refreshments, I talked to this cute guy. He told me a little bit about his life, and then he said the one sentence that changed our lives forever. "Man, nobody ever does anything fun on Monday nights." I looked at him, and said "Let's go do something then!"
What was our first hot date like? Grocery shopping. I did not have a car, and asked him if we could go shopping first. When we got home from the store, he looked like he was about to leave and I said, quoting one of our friends from the fireside, "if you leave me now, I'm going to be really mad!" He asked if I wanted to go ice skating, which made me melt a little inside. However, the rink was closed, so we watched "Red Eye" in his apartment. It was funny, because Brandon's roommate sat on the edge of the couch the whole time, so it was prettttty awkward. (Love you Ethan!)
We stayed up talking for a while afterwards, and he walked me halfway to my apartment (aka halfway across the parking lot). He tried to high-five me goodnight, which was lame. So I hugged him.



It doesn't sound that great, I know, but this is our history. The first date was good enough to keep me interested, at least. I will keep updating this relationship as the dates come around. It was not all love and roses and unicorns after this. In fact, it was quite turbulent and unsure for about a month after this. But I love Brandon, and love how we started after a dating fireside. I knew after the first date that Brandon was someone special, and one of the nicest guys I really have ever met.

3 comments: