Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!

Father's Day is such a sensitive issue. Many people I know do not have dads in their lives, do not speak with their dads, or are raising children without dads. So I'm just grateful that I have a dad, have a good relationship with him, and can wish him a happy Father's Day.

(I just loved the face he's making here)
I am so grateful for my dad. He's taught me a lot over the course of my life, and I know that I would definitely not have turned out this well (cough) if it weren't for him and my mom teaching me. He's taught me the importance of hard work, and the importance of family. When I tell him something about my life, even though I know he has no interest in it, he really listens and follows through with asking about it later. He's been so busy, with being bishop and traveling on an almost constant basis for the last few years, but he's still taken time out of his schedule to spend with each of the kids. When he was first called as bishop he took me to New York City for a graduation trip, and even though I was a little bit of a teenager during the trip he still made it so much fun for me. I'm going to always remember that.
I'm so grateful to have a father-in-law who has taught Brandon so well about the power of hard work. Brandon has been working this "wonderful" job for over a year in order to support us, and I know that he wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't so engrained in his mind that this is what needs to happen. He's been putting himself through college. I didn't want to marry a "spoiled' boy who didn't know the meaning of hard work, because I know that's what will get us through the hard times in our lives. So I'm glad that Steve has taught Brandon those principles that he will carry with him for the rest of his life.


I'm so grateful for the grandpas that I have. The two that I've known my whole life are the epitome of hard work, and never giving up. They were both mission presidents, and both of their families have turned out in a wonderful way. I really think that a big part of this was the fact that they never gave up, and always kept their family on the straight and narrow path and never accepted anything less. I can see it in how both of my parents raised me.
Grandpa Giullian is also a wonderful example to me. I don't even know him all that well, having met him twice, but he is also a great patriarch and raised his son well to be Brandon's dad today. He has done many great things in his life, and I'm so glad we have those experiences to look at.
And as for the grandpa I'll meet on the other side of the veil... well I've heard that Brandon acts a lot like him. So I can't wait to meet him someday.
The other day we were talking about our dads in a class I have, and one girl just kept talking about how her dad left them and how she thought that dads were not a necessary role in people's lives, and I just sat there and felt 2 things. 1, sad for this girl that she never experienced having a dad, and 2 indignation. I needed my dad when I was growing up! So I raised my hand and in a roundabout way said that I thought dads WERE a necessary part of growing up to those who have had good relationships with their dads, and those who haven't now have the chance to either marry a good man who will be their children's dad or be the dad they always wanted. I don't remember how I said it, I just talked about my experience with my own dad. But that was my point.
I also have a bunch of uncles, cousins, and friends who are dads and who show me how being a dad should be. I am so excited to watch Tommy be a dad starting this fall, and I know when the time comes that Brandon will be a great dad too! Just not yet.
Happy Father's Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment