So Memorial Day weekend was something I've been looking forward to for a long time. It was when we were going to get to be in California with our family all together one last time for 2, maybe 4 years. Austin was going on his mission!!!
It was a miracle that Brandon and I were able to both go. It took everything short of an act of Congress to get Brandon's coworkers to step up and cover his weekend shift. But that's ANOTHER story. He had to work 6 straight night shifts before the weekend, and then 2 more night shifts after the weekend. It was pretty rough to watch, and Brandon now has a "Get-Out-of-Jail-Free" card. I told him it can be used on anything but pregnancy.
So we drove down Thursday, and spent the evening with Stuart and Heidi. We went to a sports grill, and watched the Heat game. I think Stuart drank about 10 cups of Mountain Dew while we were watching the game haha, he drained that cup so quickly.
We spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa Myres' house, and spent the morning talking to them. After that it was down to the Governor's mansion (645 house in Provo) to see Bennett and Jazz. It's always so fun to see cousins! We lost track of time, and didn't have time to go back up to Pleasant Grove to see Annalise and Hyrum... sorry guys! But they did come with us to the Salt Lake temple, and I got to go with my friend Jamie!! It was so fun, I haven't seen her in almost 2 years. I'm waiting on her pictures (ahem, ahem), but trust me, it was beautiful. I was amazed at the inside. I had always thought that the Salt Lake temple was overrated, because there are SO many weddings in there (84 the weekend we got married). But after going inside, I think it's my favorite temple.
We also got to see my friend Bekah, who is serving in Temple Square! We just "happened" to walk into the Beehive House... had nothing to do with the fact that she was supposed to be there. It was so fun!
We spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa Murphy's house, and got up at 3:30 in the morning to drive down to the airport on Saturday. I was so tired, but we were so excited!
Alyse and Tommy came to pick us up, as they were on their way down from Santa Monica. We got there before the man of the hour was even awake. Rumor had it that he wanted to hang out with his friends, but I would have none of that. We got up at 3 in the morning for crying out loud! I think he understood me.
Our first activity was the beach. All I can say about it is- Austin and I got FRIED. It's my own fault... but man it hurt. We played volleyball and got sunburned. I'm still feeling the after effects from that.
At dinner time, we got some "Boston Market", which was a blast from the past. We then played Ultimate Frisbee. Brandon's never seen my more competitive side, because I don't go all out when I'm not super comfortable around everyone I'm with. As my family has seen everything, there was nothing holding me back. Unfortunately, we lost.
When we got home, it was time for "Just Dance". I also spent the night putting aloe vera on Austin's back.
Poor Austin.
Dad and Charlie.
Cole and Storm.
Alyse and Austin.
We spent Sunday morning getting ready for the open house that we were going to have. When we got to church, there were SO many people there. We had to cram our family onto one side pew, and it was a cozy fit. There were two boys giving their farewell talk, Austin and Reed Gubernick, a boy from our ward that is Austin's age.
They both did SUCH a good job! I had such a hard time keeping my emotions together while listening. It's so great to hear Austin's testimony, and see how ready he really is to be out there.
Afterwards we had an open house, with the Alpine Myres and the Jafeks and whoever else wanted to come. Naturally, we talked the entire time. It was great!
Sunday was Evan's birthday, so we had a cake and sang to him.
After everyone left, Austin got set apart as a missionary. It was real then! We took some family pictures.......
The 8 kids, with baby Camilo Paul taking a cameo in Alyse's belly.
Trying to be serious... half of us at least.
The next morning, Brandon and Tommy got up with Austin and his "companion" Dallin to do companion study. I didn't take this picture, but it's tender that they were all together.
We went to In-N-Out for Austin's last time for 2 years... I got a picture of the 3 Murphy boys.
My dad and Austin brought us to the airport... it was very sad to say goodbye to him but I know he will be great! And I"m almost done with his Canadian blanket.
Au revoir, Austin!


soooo cute!!!
ReplyDelete